Consultant in Intensive Care Medicine and Anaesthesia
NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- NHS Medical & Dental: Consultant
- 10 sessions per week (Full Time 10 PA's)
- Furness General Hospital
- Barrow in Furness
- £84,559 - £114,003 per annum
- 08/12/2021 23:59
''A great place to be cared for; a great place to work''
University Hospitals of Morecambe Bay has been nationally recognised as the UK’s most inclusive NHS organisation. As such we have a firm commitment to strengthening the diversity of our workforce, and therefore welcome and encourage applications from likeminded people who can support our ambition to become effortlessly inclusive. We are particularly keen to hear from protected groups – including BAME, LGBT+ and people with a disability.
Applications for this substantive post will only be accepted if you are in the process of obtaining your CCT/CSER within six months of interview
Applications are welcomed for highly motivated Consultant Anaesthetist posts with an interest in ICU, based at Furness General Hospital. The hospital is a trust of 5 site bases with intensive care departments on 2 of its larger sites and theatres on 3 of the 5 sites. You will predominantly be based at the Furness General Site with an expectation to cover Royal Lancaster Infirmary Site when required (ITU).
Main duties of the job
You will join an expanding department of 8 Consultants with several Associate Specialists and Specialty Doctors supporting all general services of the hospital including a busy Accident and Emergency department, Theatres covering maternity, gynecology, orthopedic and trauma, ophthalmology and ENT.
You will work on a Consultant of the Week Rota in Intensive Care covering prospectively 1:8. We have recently opened the purpose built South Lakes Birthing Centre on site which is fully supported by a 24/7 epidural service.
Furness General Hospital is a lovely, small, friendly district general hospital based on South West Coast of the Lake District. Westmorland General Hospital is located on the outskirts of the popular Lakeland town of Kendal.
Working for our organisation
UHMB has a keen interest and extensive involvement in Medical and Dental Education at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels. We work in partnership with Health Education England North West (HEENW), the General Medical Council (GMC) and our local medical schools, to provide quality education and training which meets the requirements of these regulatory bodies as well as the Trust’s high standards of patient care. UHMBT provide clinical placements for Medical Students from Lancaster Medical School and Medical Students and Student Physician Associates from the University of Central Lancashire. We also provide training for our doctors in training, specialty doctors and GP trainees as well as supporting the development of our consultant educators. The Hospitals are situated on the edge of the Lake District, surrounded by an area of natural beauty offering outdoor and recreational activities, relating to the sea, lakes and fells.
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
Please find a detailed Job description and Person Specification for this role attached
You must hold full GMC with a license to practice and entry on the Specialist Register or in receipt of CCT within six months of interview.
- Full GMC Registration with a licence to practice
- Entry on the GMC specialist register or be within six months of obtaining your CCT at the time of interview
- FICM or an equivalent qualification
- FRCA or an equivalent appropriate higher anaesthetic qualification
- Higher Postgraduate professional qualifications in research or Education
Training and experience
- Completion of specialist training or equivalent training in Anaesthesia and intensive care
- ICM recognised formal training in intensive care medicine or equivalent
- Experience in the management of Trauma and other surgical emergencies
- Broad exposure to anaesthesia particularly for laproscopic surgery, emergency surgical and obstetric emergencies.
- Evidence of involvement and experience in audit
- Knowledge of and interest in medical education
Personal skills, ability etc
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary environment
- Experience of working in a multi disciplinary team
- Able to communicate effectively
- Experience of leading a clinical team
- Experience of supervision of junior medical staff and relevant staff in other disciplines & GMC recognised training in Educational & clinical supervision.
- Attendance at an advanced communication skills course
- Evidence of significant Leadership roles, training or abilities
Research and development
- Evidence of completion of audits.
- Ability to supervise junior doctors to plan and conduct a research and audit project
- Evidence of peer reviewed publications.
- Evidence of recent independent or supervised research with relevant publications
- Commitment to both undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training
- Evidence of previous undergraduate teaching experience.
- Experience of “problem based learning” systems.
- A diploma in education or other teaching qualification
- Awareness of the managerial role of a consultant in the NHS
- Evidence of engagement with the management process during training.
- Recent attendance at a management course or a recognised qualification in management.
- Understanding of managerial responsibility and its future development in the role of clinicians in management
- Membership of appropriate professional societies
You must have appropriate UK professional registration.
This post is subject to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 (Exceptions) Order 1975 (Amendment) (England and Wales) Order 2020 and it will be necessary for a submission for Disclosure to be made to the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Documents to download
Further details / informal visits contact
- Dr Kate Boothroyd
- Job title
- Cross Bay Clinical Lead
- Email address
- Telephone number
- 01524 583517
- Additional information
Dr Wael Abdelrhman
Deputy Clinical Lead based FGH